Saturday, February 22, 2014

SANCTITY THY NAME!



        Man’s thoughts dwindle between the extremes; the existence and non existence of GOD. Most of us have a strong belief in the super power yet; the rest may contradict or remain neutral with the idea. Nevertheless the places of worship attract people of all the possible faith exisitng and bring oneness among different people who are varied in religion, caste, creed or profession. It brings together the rich, the poor, the worthy, unworthy, everyone under one roof and belief. Each one have their own way of connecting with the Divine. Some blindly worship without even giving a thought of whether they like to do it or not. They keep requesting the Almighty to make life easier. To them, God is someone who resets life while in trouble. Praying becomes a part of routine for such people. While some sincerely believe in god, worship and stick to the religious rituals with utmost sincerity. Very few take themselves beyond religion and follow tradition and relish the spiritual progress.


            Quite different from all these categories are the crème of people who treat god like their best friend and I am one among them. My favorite god is Devi. Whatever happens in my day to day life I will share it with her, be it  happy ones, extremely sad or even when I am excited or overwhelmed I will let out all my emotions  only  to my soul mate Devi. I have asked her to give my favorite questions in the exam which I want  write! 

The one place which is very close my heart is Periya paalayathu amman temple in Royapettah. Right from the foetus stage, in my mother’s womb, I have been going to that temple. It makes me nostalgic every time I stand before her in that temple. My grandmother being a devotee of the main deity Devi of that temple, she made me and my sister to say only that Devi’s name when she first taught us to pray. Till date, it is her name we say as a reflex even when the ear splitting thunder strikes! That’s the kind of bond I have with my Devi.

            Of late there have been many questions in my mind about my connection with the supreme power. Not knowing how and where to start, I just joined a small pilgrimage trip where I got the opportunity to visit some of the best temples in and around Chennai city. In all the temples I visited it was the Devi, the feminine energy which pulled me strongly towards her. Vadiudai amman in Arulmigu thyagaraja swamy thiru kovil at Thiruvottriyu, Thiru udai amman at Mellore and Kodi idai amman temple at Thirumullaivoyal.

            Whether one believes in god or not, our temples are wonderful work of art and culture. The sheer beauty strewn all over the temple walls which narrates the story of the temple’s main deity. Everything about our South Indian temples are beautiful, the crimson kum kum, water splashed on the vast temple flooring, just a single lit wick clearing the darkness of the shrine and the grey soot climbing up the wall, the smell of the Prasad, ash and what not? 

            Going to temple with family itself is an enjoyable experience. I am torn between extremes, faith, belief, beauty, family time, hot sweet pongal! Oh my god! What am I going to temple for? Right now I go for all of these. *winks* .Here I stand, trying to define spiritual trips with a confused mind.

            Travel isn’t just about seeing new places. It is a journey which helps you discover a little more about yourself. Maybe be not a flight trip , maybe not a train trip, maybe not a million kilometers away.. Travel is just about leaving your usual self behind in your closet and barging into the big world trying to find the different dimensions of your personality. 

            So, get up! Just walk out! And make your teeny tiny trip to the unstirred area of your neighborhood.. whether a temple or a pond or a park or even a super market. Why miss the opportunity to know yourself a little better than yesterday.

 Bon voyage folks! 


-N&N

No comments :

Post a Comment