Sunday, April 27, 2014

PEACE OUT HORN


CITY OF SOUND

Living in a city like CHENNAI, how do you think it feels?

Well I know it is a great feeling just to be a part of this awesome city, Chennai is always giving to us isn’t it? Money…job… love… name it, you will get it here. But has any 1 thought about what it has taken in return from us? 

I have been thinking about this lately.

When was the last time you spent quality time in a silent and calm place? Could you actually find such a place in Chennai? Unless, it is a triple door, sound proof room. 

How long has it been since you heard a humming bird sing? Or woken up to the vocals of a cuckoo bird? Or tapped to the rhythm of a woodpecker pecking on a tree?

We find a place for everything in this city but for “silence”? I wish I could spot out such a rare place.

NO HORN

In spite of all the studies and surveys , why there isn’t a reduction in noise pollution, is it because of indifferent attitude of the citizens? We are ignorant about the adverse effects of noise pollution.

I’m a person who personally doesn’t like loud sound unless it’s my favorite music. I love driving and all my free time is spent only strolling around the streets on my bike, most of the times I return back home with a bad mood due to the constant honking. There are so many times I felt like giving the guy who just wouldn’t stop honking, a piece of my mind and other times I have become so irritated that I couldn’t drive further. I understand, when someone honks when there is enough place for the vehicle to move and make way for them , what I don’t understand is how will the vehicle move any further if there is no place. As if the road is going to expand magically just because someone keeps honking constantly!! 

There is one particular incident I would like to share. One day I was driving back home from my college during  peak hours, all the vehicles were moving in small paces but the guy behind me in a car ( SUV ) was continuously honking though he very well knew there is no space for him to get past me as there were vehicles jam packed in front of me. I turned around and shouted “STOP HORNING” but still he continued horning,  this raised my temper somehow I tried to make a way so that he could move in front and stop horning but even that dint stop him from honking. The red signal was up but his honking continued this got me really mad the guy got on my nerves so I thought of doing the same thing to him once the green signal was up I started honking continuously without a pause and put him in the same position where I stood this actually helped the guy stopped horning I felt relieved and happy but that dint last long it became worse it was like everyone started honking at the same time. It was just untolerable. 

Honking dint help me solve a problem it just made it worst leaving me with a migraine so STOP HORNING and say NO to horn.       

REASONS AND SEASONS

According to an article in THE HINDU METRO PLUS Noisy traffic (honking in particular), called impact noise, can affect hearing, said Dr. Mohan Kameswaran, Managing Director, Madras ENT Research Foundation. It is a cumulative effect and over a few years could result in substantial damage. We must observe one day in a year as a ‘No Horn' day to create public awareness of how noise can damage hearing. Md. Shakheel Akhter, IPS, Additional Commissioner, Traffic, also pointed out the culture of honking is unique to India. He also mentioned “Always remember that the person in front is as much in need of continuing his journey as you are; so, be patient.”

I started up with this article not because I can’t hear the birds singing we all very well know none of us care about a humming birds song but what we should care about is our personal heath.

A survey by THE TIMES OF INDIA conducted in 2011 said Living in Chennai is equivalent to living in a factory -- at least in terms of how much noise all the residents are subjected to. Data from Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) shows that the noise levels everywhere in Chennai are over 100 dB -- more than a typical factory. The average noise level in Chennai is actually higher at more than 129 decibels. It must be noted that pain in the ear begins at 125 decibels. The permissible limit is 85 dB fixed by the World Health Organisation (WHO).
This survey was based on monitoring many places link OMR, Perumbur, anna nagar etc, and Triplicane and T Nagar in Chennai city - commercial-residential neighbourhoods - registered noise levels above 130. Data from January to April 23, 2011 shows that Guindy registered a maximum of 141.8 decibels more than the sound from a gun blast.

All these data’s are from monitoring the sounds on normal days then just think of the festive seasons like Diwali, New Year, Christmas etc.

STOP AND FIX

Try starting early to beat the rush-hour traffic. 

Taking deep breaths help you to oxygenate your blood and release tension while on road.

Prefer mild music while driving other then ROCK and POP it will help reduce your stress. 

Make sure you had a good night sleep before you head out for a long drive.

Follow traffic rules.

Learn to cultivate patience.

Stop HORNING!

EFFECTS AND DEFECTS


The first and foremost effect of noise is a decrease the efficiency in working. Research has proved the fact that human efficiency increases with noise reduction.

Deafness, temporary or permanent, is one of the most prevalent effects of noise pollution.

Fatigue is another effect of noise. Due to lack of concentration, people need to devote more time to complete their task, which leads to tiredness and fatigue.

Noise pollution also acts as a stress invigorator, increasing the stress levels among people.

It also indirectly affects the vegetation. Plants require cool & peaceful environment to grow. Noise pollution causes poor quality of crops.

Sometimes people can be victims of certain diseases like blood pressure, mental illness, etc when they are surrounded by loud sound.

Loud noise also weakens the edifice of buildings, bridges and monuments. It creates crakes, which can be very dangerous and harmful and make the building collapse in some time.

Noise pollution is not as something you think it is it is actually more and more dangerous then you imagined. Loud sound could cause death. Don’t take this simple start thinking stop “HONKING”.
                                                                                     
- Chennai ponnu.



No comments :

Post a Comment